Monday, March 3, 2014

A lesson I needed

Yesterday I wasn't in a good mood going to church, I was bugged at Rob for turning the tv on on a sunday to a violent movie, I was bugged the house was a mess, and still bummed about the party the night before.

Ryder was frustrating through sacrament meeting, and Rob had already taken Rustin out to the foyer because he was screaming...

I went to Sunday school, It was ok, but still I thought about how Rustin was probably crying in Robs arms in primary?

A cool thing I did learn in Sunday school is its okay to question god if only we do it the correct way and go to him for the answers, We can ask how to fulfill a commandment, or how to endure a trial, etc etc. It was a new perspective for me.


Then RS started, and on the board were written about 25 scripture refrences.. I thought , " OH great we are just going to spend the whole day reading scriptures, I should just go find Rusty and go home... but I didn't even though moments later Rob came and gave me the keys, informing me him and Rusty were walking home... (Rusty screams bloody murder constantly, there is no reason to disrupt everyone in the whole chapel....)

Well the teacher, who is actually an english teacher by profession, asked us who we wanted to understand the scriptures, or to gain a testimony of the scriptures and made a list: Spouse, children, grandchildren, friends, co workers, leaders, teachers, VTees, etc

Then she had people around the room read quotes from prophets that were promises of scripture reading.

It was so inspired, The lady who read a quote about the promise of peace and obedient children and less contention in the home from reading scriptures, was read by a young mother who has 3 kids under 2...

The quote about scripture power was read by a mom who has been struggling with bed time for her 2 year old but as soon as they started reading scriptures with their small children they started going to bed on time....

There were several quotes... and several people who read them and somehow what was read directly correlated with something going on in their personal lives... talk about inspiration

Then we were told to pick a scripture from those written on the board and read them quietly to ourselves... then we were put in groups and discuss what principles we learned from what we read...

What I thought was going to be a boring lesson turned into one of the most inspiring lessons I've ever been a part of, and it was exactly what I needed that day.

I want to read scriptures and bring that spirit into my home so my family can have those things promised by the prophets to those who make scripture reading a regular part of their everyday lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment